Saturday, June 28, 2008

Why a Blog about Internet Video?

Since launching iPlayer in April, I've tutored and helped subscribers of all kinds, including professional videographers, real estate agents, charitable organizations, churches, writers and many more. Working closely with all these folks has helped me understand their needs and the needs of the market. From this experience, I have learned that there is still much confusion over formats and codecs, bitrates and bandwidth, streaming vs. progressive downloads, and a few others. Typically, a few minutes with my subscribers is all it takes to set them on the correct path.

It seems my mission has morphed from generating subscriptions for iPlayer into something more substantial and meaningful. It is also to teach the world, or at least my corner of the world, how to deliver video content to their world with the best possible visual quality and with the least amount of difficulty.

And, so it goes with this Blog. If my mission is to help those who would deliver video online, why not help subscribers and non-subscribers alike? It is in that spirit that I dedicate this Blog. As I go forward, it is my hope that those of you who read it faithfully will truly be informed and enlightened.

Next up: Is HD video on the web truly HD video?

No comments: